Wednesday 6 May 2009

Kind Man

I was walking through the Town Centre walking past some tables in an outdoor cafe this week when I heard someone shouting my name. He was the elderly husband of a patient of mine. I said hello to him and he took my arm and took me over the the table he was sharing with his wife and friends.


He introduced me to them by saying that I was the nicest nurse in the world who had saved the life of his dear wife.


Ermm. I didn't save her life. She had a seizure and I stayed with her, administered 02, put her in recovery, gave IV diazamole etc etc. But okay. This is rare so I'll glow a bit.


He went onto say that the nurses on my ward are so hardworking and outstanding and etc etc etc until I was red in the face. Okay. Cool. He then said " I don't know how you girls do it every day". I didn't know what to say other than thank you and we always try to do our best. Nurses don't take compliments well.

Some people are so kind. It's good to know that someone felt that they were taken care of properly.


Sometimes I find positive feedback hard to take because I can always think of a millions things I could have done better if I had the time and the resources. You get a complaint and your feel guilty, someone says you have done well and you feel guilty too. Weird.


But I'm not complaining.

3 comments:

Vegesaurus said...

How lovely! It's rare moments like this that make the job worthwhile, in my opinion.

One of My Old Boys accosted me in the supermarket once, he threw his arms around me and enthusiastically waffled at length about how lovely the staff on my ward were. That sort of thing makes me so proud of what I do.

It's so hard to do our best sometimes, low staffing levels and demanding patients make the job stressful and frustrating, but knowing we CAN make that much of a difference despite all that is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world.

oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses cheap, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike shoes, air max, kate spade outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion jeans, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, gucci outlet, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, coach purses, coach factory outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, coach outlet store online, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, prada outlet, true religion jeans

oakleyses said...

barbour, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, instyler, nfl jerseys, herve leger, wedding dresses, ugg boots, celine handbags, longchamp, marc jacobs, ghd, new balance shoes, lululemon outlet, soccer jerseys, beats by dre, ugg australia, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, ugg boots, mcm handbags, canada goose, birkin bag, bottega veneta, north face outlet, insanity workout, nike huarache, p90x, nike trainers, asics running shoes, canada goose outlet, mont blanc, uggs outlet, valentino shoes, nike roshe, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, abercrombie and fitch, north face jackets, nike roshe run, reebok outlet, rolex watches, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo outlet, babyliss pro, soccer shoes, hollister, ugg